Friday, June 1, 2012

re-sipes.

I have a very vivid memory of the day I realized the "recipes" I was reading on the back of my cereal box were pronounced RECIPES, and that I knew what a RECIPE was, and it all made sense!! Prior to this realization, my brain was reading this word as "re-sipe." So even though I knew I was reading a list of ingredients and how to put them together to form food, that was just a re-sipe, and when my mom was talking about recipes, well, that was another thing. My first Ah-ha moment in life. I was fifteen years old.

Just kidding! I think I was 5 or something.

I feel like the blog has gotten boring so that's where this random insert is coming from.

Here come the darn recipes:

Molly's "Healthier Lasagna"
1 lb. ground turkey
1 16 oz diced italian style tomatoes, drained. (or 1/2 drained)
8 oz tomato sauce or marinara
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
10-ish lasagna noodles
shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
12 oz. low fat cottage cheese
1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Brown the turkey, drain fat. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce,  salt, oregano, and pepper into the turkey. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Cook the noodles and drain and rinse them with cold water so they don't stick together. Build your lasagna by alternating layers of noodles, mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, meat sauce, and parmesan cheese. I usually do 2 layers of the good stuff, then the top layer is just lasagna noodles covered with a little bit of cheese. Cover and refrigerate. Bake at 350 for an hour or 30 minutes if you're baking it immediately without refrigeration.

This is not as gooey and big as regular lasagna, but to me, the flavor is better. (i'm not a huge fan of ricotta, so that may be why). I love it though!!!

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos (my first non-dip crock pot experience. amazing)
6 raw chicken breasts (not frozen)
1 packet taco seasoning (none hold a candle to Lawry's in my opinion)
1 16 oz. jar of salsa. (I used the On The Border stuff, it was great)

(Cook on low for 4-6 hours. The recipe told me high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours but my crock pot must be a blazin machine because it was perfect on low for 4 hours. )

I really didn't believe this was turn out so good but it was honestly scrumptious and even better the next day. We did tacos the first night, and then the second night I made a quesadilla on a whole wheat tortilla, and I don't care what people say, they are LYING if they think whole wheat tortillas are even remotely close to the deliciousness of a flour one, but this dilla was so good I would order it in a restaurant.

I'm off to my first Fusion Fitness class, will report back soon!


2 comments:

  1. I love little Molly stories--they are seriously my favorite! Everyone has been talking about this fusion fitness lately...can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random reader but I started Fusion probably 3 months ago and LOVE it!!! It kicks your butt but it's an amzing workout with awesome results :)

    ReplyDelete