Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A day in eating...

Some days eating well is really easy, some days not so much. If I cook everything myself it is a no brainer. But sometimes cooking is the last thing I want to do, and that's where things get tough. And of course you are familiar with my weekend struggles - parties, showers, weddings, etc.

Here is what a good day looks like for me during the week. I'll post what I'm doing to stay on track on the weekends later on...

BREAKFAST:
Two eggs and one egg white or a smoothie. I used to think smoothies sounded completely awful and would never satisfy me. I thought I needed to chew food to feel like I was eating food. Buuutt...turns out you can make a smoothie taste like ice cream and I certainly never complained about that texture before! My favorite smoothie recipe is a half cup low fat cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt, about half of a frozen banana (this is the secret ingredient...slice your bananas first, then freeze them.), a tbsp of peanut butter, a tiny bit of vanilla protein powder (it helps fill you up and sweetens it a bit), 1/2 cup milk, some spinach if I have it (you can't taste it), and a couple ice cubes. It really is amazing.

MORNING SNACK:
Banana or apple.


LUNCH: Something leftover or a salad, with fruit or cottage cheese on the side. (I am also a HUGE fan of Jimmy John's unwich's.)
Leftover Quinoa pictured above. Recipe: quinoa, rinsed and drained black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper, lime juice, and a little olive oil. This is good, but my fav quinoa is with grilled onions, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, and whatever else, and then doused in soy sauce. Tastes like fried rice!!
 ...Or a salad. Salads actually make me feel very full...so if I have the ingredients this is what I turn to for lunch. Right now I'm into spinach, leftover chicken, black olives, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and feta. I put some olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a little tupperware and shake it up. Another great salad is lettuce, chicken, edamame, red pepper, cilantro and Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette. (my favorite bottled dressing ever)
AFTERNOON SNACK:
Cauliflower/Broccoli or Carrots (if I'm not too lazy and cut them up) with hummus, pita chips with hummus, cottage cheese, apple, or a protein bar. I also love eating yogurt for a snack but I haven't bought it lately.
(not my photo, I eat Aldi pita chips and red pepper hummus) :)

DINNER:
This looks like I eat next to nothing, but Taylors' grilled chicken and grilled veggies are very filling and VERY good. Other repeat dinners are salmon and vegetables, turkey chili, baked parmesan chicken, etc.

DESSERT: A little handful of chocolate chips. I'm trying to get out of needing something sweet after I eat, but chocolate chips are my go-to if I can't fight the craving.

And that's it! If I ate like this every day I'd probably be 15 pounds lighter by now...but it's just now becoming more of a habit and a lot easier. So who knows, maybe things will speed up after this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment