Sunday, November 7, 2010

ABR # 2

Second book I wanted to talk about:
A Spot of Bother, by Mark Haddon.
I read this earlier this year. It's Mark Haddon's second novel, (his first is "A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" which I read a couple years ago and loved as well).
This one is completely different, but I actually enjoyed it more.
It's written from 3 different perspectives, however, the main voice is that of George, a 61 year old hypochondriac, depressed, British man. His wife is cheating on him, his daughter is getting married to a guy he hates, his son is gay and doesn't think his dad (or mom) approves, and George think his eczema, "the spot of bother", is cancer.
It's dark, it's sad, but it's hilarious at the same time. I laughed out loud, I gagged, I cried. It's very vivid. I just loved it. Loved, loved, loved it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment