Thursday, November 4, 2010

ABR #1

When I think of the word "hobby", I think of scrapbooking, running, guitar-playing, or photography.While I wish I had all of those hobbies, ehhh, "not yet". But when I have to fill in the "what are your hobbies?" blank, I feel good that I have at least one I'm not lying about: reading. I get through 3-4 books a month, and since I really love getting book recommendations, I thought I'd share a few of my own.

and so begins part one of my personal series :
Molly's Abridged Book Reviews (or ABR) (abridged because i don't think i'm cool enough or proficient enough to give you a full blown review, but a quick blurb is fine from anyone, right?)

I'll start with The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.
I'm starting here because a) I just finished it last night and b) I think it's a book that everyone would really like.

I'm sure many of you have read it, it's uber-publicized and a loyal member of most current best-seller lists. Which usually makes me not want to read it. Snobby, I know. However, this truly was a wonderful page-turner, and I really can't see anyone not falling in love with Aibileen, Minny, or even the "white trash" Cecilia.

I coincidentally re-read To Kill A Mockingbird right before this one, which is also set in Mississippi, civil rights era, so I'll admit at the beginning I had my nose-turned at the stereotyped verbiage and lack of all around Harper Lee perfection....but once I got attached I was LATCHED on. I loved the story, I loved the lessons, and I loved the ending. Pick it up next.

4 comments:

  1. This is actually already on my next book to read list! I can't wait... I heard it is wonderful. Adam just printed off the top 100 all time American books off of some site and is going to work through them. you might like a lot of those on that list. Post some Shamus pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book :) Can you imagine if your nickname was Skeeter?!? Keep the ABR's coming...I need some new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently gotten back into reading so I might have to take you up on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading Help right now. Great book!

    ReplyDelete