Thursday, September 2, 2010

Aldi Love

There is an Aldi 1.2 miles from our house. And let's just say, Taylor and I are a bit more than fans. Thank you Carly Smith, for showing me the light and allowing me to pass it on to my frugal husband.

So I took him there for the first time about three weeks ago and he was utterly in shock. He could not stop picking things up and exclaiming "OH MY GOD! We are never shopping anywhere else AGAIN!!" And then as we were checking out, who do we see? None other than the business suit -sporting hottie herself, Carly Smith - taking applications from a long line of potential employees. Small world, since the Aldi we go to isn't even one of the stores in her district. Taylor came home and couldn't stop gushing about how awesome Aldi was. He even asked me if he should write on Carly's facebook wall and tell her how much he loved it. Again. Bahahaha....

Anyways, I am absolutely obsessed with how much money you save and have kept every single receipt from every grocer (proof below) to go home and furiously compare and tell my husband how much less everything is at Aldi, as if I personally did something really extraordinary and deserve a reward or something. So far, I have not found one thing that you can get for less money anywhere else, even with a coupon, except for Milk. It's cheaper at Costco. But that's the ONLY thing!! (Ok and I think maybe eggs are cheaper at Costco, and they're also a better grade, but you have to buy like five dozen at a time and even though Taylor could manage to finish off 5 dozen eggs in two weeks, they're just really too heavy for me to handle and freak me out. Ok, I digress)

On that note, I am going to turn into a taquito. A gloriously cheap, yet surprisingly delicious Aldi taquito. I.can't.stop.eating.them. I only microwave one at a time, so I feel like I'm just having a teeny snack, but then I go back to the freezer and the microwave four times in the four minutes that follow. Ok writing this down just made me realize that my snack is turning into fourthmeal.

3 comments:

  1. My mom was always obsessed with Aldi, then I went there in Manhattan.... but we sadly don't have them in CO. Adam and I strictly shop at Whole Foods and spend a butt-load of money there. Not good, but I can't help myself- it is just such a great atmosphere... :) I have officially turned into a grocery store BRAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, please keep these blog post coming. I actually picture you telling the story when I read…it makes it even more entertaining :) I just recently found our Aldi so I'm thinking maybe I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think that I need to try out Aldi's in JoCo. My last Aldi experience was at the one on Prospect in KCMO when I lived at my condo. Needless to say....I had to go only in the day time and with supervision. Carly said that is a "bad" one (duh). So I will try again thanks to this post!

    ReplyDelete